Child and Youth Support Program
Government of Alberta - Ministry of Children's Services
Search Search Results Agency Service
- Provides financial and medical benefits for a child or youth when the parents / guardians are unable or unwilling to care for the child and the child is being cared for in another home of an adult caregiver.
- financial and medical benefits for a child or youth when the parents / guardians are unable or unwilling to care for the child, and the child is being cared for in another home of an adult caregiver
This program is intended to:
- supplement some of the child's needs and offset some of the costs associated with the care of a child or youth
- promote stable relationships for children by offering an alternate out-of-home placement
The care and responsibility of the child or youth remains with the parents / guardian and caregiver.
- the income of a caregiver is not considered in determining eligibility for this program
- certain income that may be received on behalf of or directly by the child is considered for determining program eligibility, including: maintenance / child support payments and Income Support provided through Alberta Works or by any assured income support program where the child or youth is listed as a dependent
The Canada Child Benefit Supplement is considered an exempt source of income.
- Yes, The caregiver and child may be eligible to receive benefits if:
- the child or youth is 17 years or younger at the time of application
- and attending school, employed full-time, or in a full-time training program
- the child or youth’s income does not exceed the financial guidelines of the program
- the parents / guardians have provided a letter of consent for the caregiver to provide care for the child or the caregiver has private guardianship of the child
- the child must be residing with the caregiver 7 days per week
- the parent / guardian who is unable or unwilling to provide care for their child may not be living in the same home as the caregiver
- the caregiver does not live on-reserve; there may be other financial supports provided to help supplement families on-reserve
- Application Process
- Service Access: Application Required, To access service:
- contact the local Children's Services office directly, or call 310-0000 toll free for the phone number of the office nearest you
- the caregiver is required to provide documentation to support the application
- the caseworker may require an in-person meeting with the caregiver and child
- the required forms will be provided by the co-ordinator if they determine that the applicant is eligible
Referral Process: No
Waiting Period: Yes,
There may be a wait time to process applications.
- Toll Free
- Web Site
- Fee: No
Fee Reduction: No
Membership Fee: No
- Wheelchair access: N/A -
Other disabled access: N/A -
- Last Verified On
- November 10, 2022
- Hours of Operation
- Mon08:15 AM to 04:30 PMTue08:15 AM to 04:30 PMWed08:15 AM to 04:30 PMThu08:15 AM to 04:30 PMFri08:15 AM to 04:30 PM
Closed statutory holidays.