- Offers a safe place for parents to anonymously give up their child.
- an anonymous safe haven and last resort option for parents who feel they cannot keep their newborn baby
After leaving a newborn baby:
- a delayed alarm will be triggered after the child is placed in the cradle, to give the adult time to walk away
- newborns receive a health assessment and a hospital social worker will contact Child and Family Services Authority (CFSA)
- the baby will be placed in temporary care with Child and Family Services Authority (CFSA)
- Child and Family Services Authority (CFSA) will make all attempts to identify and locate the parents - they are obligated to do so according to the law
- the hospital or police will not try to locate the infant's parents as long as the child is not harmed in any way (leaving a baby is not a criminal offence unless the baby is injured)
The program supports the rights of children to know their parental history, and this program is a preventative measure that gives the child a chance to know its history and be reunited if the parent(s) comes forward later. Parents are encouraged to leave health and medical information about the mother, father, and baby.
- Yes, Service targeted to:
- parents with newborn infants
- who feel they have no other options
- Application Process
- Service Access: Walk-in / Drop In Service, To access service:
- pamphlets are located inside the Angel Cradle that explain the process thoroughly and provide more contacts for information, help, and support
- an enclosed cradle is located behind the door (located outside of the building)
- the parent leaving an infant can place the child inside and secure the door shut
- once the door has been secured for 60 seconds, an alarm sounds in the Emergency department. This signals a nurse to go look through the digital peephole to make sure there is no sign of another adult, ensuring the privacy of whomever is placing the infant inside
Waiting Period: No,
- 1100 Youville Drive NW
Edmonton, AB, T6L 5X8
This Covenant Health facility provides a range of healthcare services including a 24/7 emergency department.
Open in Google Maps