Alberta Health Services
Edmonton Zone - Sexual Assault Response Team
- Specially trained nurses who provide sexual assault examination and care for individuals 14 years and older.
The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) is a team of Registered Nurses with specialized education in sexual assault care. They serve 11 Edmonton area emergency rooms 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.The team provides compassionate, confidential, culturally sensitive, and nonjudgmental care to individuals who have been sexually assaulted in the last 7 days with or without police involvement. Care includes assessment, physical examination, testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and pregnancy, giving medicine to prevent STIs and pregnancy, and referrals for counselling or other healthcare services.
Sexual Assault Resources
- Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton (SACE) Support & Information Line: 780-423-4121
- SACE Counselling: 780-423-4102
- Strathcona Sexual Assault Centre (SAFFRON): 780-449-0900
- University of Alberta Sexual Assault Centre: 780-492-9771
- Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services (online chat also available):1-866-403-8000
- Edmonton Police Service Victim Support Services: 780-421-2217
- Health Link for 24/7 Health Advice: 811
- Birth Control Centre: 780-735-0010
- STI Clinic: 780-342-2300
- Boyle McCauley Health Centre: 780-422-7333
- Family Violence Info Line: 780-310-1818
- Alberta Council of Women's Shelters: 1-866-331-3933
- Addiction and Mental Health Services: 780-427-2736
- Streetworks: 780-424-4106
- Yes, Available to individuals aged 14 and older who have been sexually assaulted in the previous 7 days.Children 13 years and younger who have been sexually assaulted should go to the Stollery within the first 3 days.
- Application Process
- Service Access: Walk-in / Drop In Service, Go to the Emergency Room and tell the triage nurse you would like to see the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) or that you've been sexually assaulted.If you have questions, contact the SART team by email (email@example.com), or leave a message at 780-735-3440. The next available nurse will reply (the nurses may be out of the office for extended periods seeing patients).Referral Process: No
Waiting Period: Yes,
The wait period in the emergency department is up to one hour. However, if a SART nurse is already on a case, the wait could be four hours or more.
- Access to this service is by Emergency Room visit only
- Interpreter/Translation services - Language Line services are offered to those who cannot speak or understand english upon request
- Fee: No
Fee Reduction: No
Membership Fee: N/A
- Wheelchair access: Yes - Other disabled access: Yes - Elevators
- Last Updated On
- August 27, 2009
- 10240 Kingsway Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB, T5H 3V9
This facility provides a range of healthcare services including a 24/7 emergency department.
Open in Google Maps